Sunday, October 01, 2006

Cloud Atlas (David Mitchell)

Let me start by saying that I loved this book. Let me end by saying I don’t know if I fully understand this book. Now that I have sandwiched both ends of my thoughts about Cloud Atlas, I suppose I need to add the peanut butter and jelly.

Similar to my PB&J filling, David Mitchell crafts a story that is both rich and substantial as well as light but sticky. It is the second book I have read of late (the other being Specimen Days) that has experimented with segmenting a story over the lives of several unrelated people in distant time periods. We begin in the journal of an estate agent in 1850 traveling through the South Pacific back to his gold-rushing home of San Francisco. Then, jump to the letters of an open-minded (read: bisexual) young composer in the 1930s--> a cub reporter in the 1970s who stumbles upon a nuclear power conspiracy that endangers her life--> a mediocre, modern English publisher imprisoned in with age--> an interview with a human simulant from the Korea of the future--> and then finally travels to a primitive Hawaiian culture that struggles to retain civilization after "the fall." Each story jolts into one another, sometimes even in mid-page, often in the exact moment where you decide as a reader that you like this character more than the last.

Now here comes the great part. After the Hawaiian adventure, we travel the same road in reverse. Back through time to our American agent on a sea voyage. There! See? There! There is the exact moment where it is no longer possible to put down this unique and convoluted (yet becoming more and more unified) book. Clear the calendar and cancel all appointments. You are in for the long haul.

There's the peanut butter, Ladies and Gentlemen. And here's the jelly, aye, here's the rub. Again, I loved it. Mitchell paints every character with humanity and depth. He interweaves the tales without being heavy-handed, leaving bread crumbs and hints in tiny details. (Except the comet--you'll see--which was a bit too obvious) At the end, I could see Mitchell's message about human nature: the stronger preying on weaker, our hunger for power building and then tearing down our families/cultures/environment, about other sorts of hunger--for goods, wealth, fame, love, freedom--and slavery, both forced and voluntary.

In short, it made me think. A lot of thoughts. A lot of thoughts I can't quite synthesize as yet but can't get rid of, like a child's sticky fingers after lunch. I see that the book is a sort of Hegel-ian model of dialectic history--forgive me, I was a History major as well as English. Hegel thought that each idea/movement/governmental system/thesis brought into existence its opposite or antithesis. These combined will disappear. Like a + and a -, they become a 0, negate each other, mean nothing, annihilate both. Therefore, they will come into conflict and something else--a fusion of sorts, not necessarily an even one--will emerge.

And that is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of my sticky fingers, sticky thoughts. Excellent thoughts as well. An excellent novel is one that will stick to your ribs (okay, okay, no more food analogies). Though I highly recommend this book, I will also recommend that you read it with a friend or in a book club. From my own experience, you will want someone to speak to about this. I feel I have a lot of ideas I need to test on another reader's ears or that I may have missed some important piece they picked up.

Here we go. Here's a solution---> Read it. Love it. Write me. Help me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home