Saturday, March 25, 2006

Rain of Gold (Victor Villasenor)

One of the other teachers at work recommended this book to me. Her favorite book of all time, she said, and I can see why. It's the sweeping tale of two families, their experiences leaving turbulent Mexico during the Mexican Revolution and their adaptation to America. It is, in fact, the true story of the author's grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles and it is a fascinating peek into Mejicano culture. Stories of gold mines, bootlegging, poverty, rape, religion, humor, honor, and love. What is a life well-lived? What makes a man a man? How do we keep God in our everyday miracles?

I personally like the character of Dona Margarita, the image of her in the outhouse every morning with a cigarette in one hand, whiskey-spiked coffee in the other, and the Bible across her lap. Yet her real-life religion, based in fact and human reality rather than spiritual idealism, rings true. God with humor, color, and a bit of earthy dirt. Her policy of honesty is a good example of this color. "God respects my honesty that I admit that I lie... He's the biggest liar in all the universe. Giving us a mind that knows all the questions but none of the answers! He won't hate you for lying or cheating or swearing if it helps you to survive. But, of course, you don't injure others." Her philosophy on marriage, children, and alcohol pepper the book with laughter and truth, keeping her family together through bad and good times and through the good and bad within themselves. As she says to her son, "Every time... the devil comes near, I swear, you'll hear from me. I'm the tick up your spiritual asshole for all eternity!"

A fun read for the bubbly bathtub or curled up like a cat in your favorite page-turning place, Rain of Gold would have been perfect to bring on the airplane, the train, the road for my upcoming trip to Europe but, well, I finished it already. Hm. Sad.

1 Comments:

Blogger Abcell Wireless Cell Phone Blog said...

Hello

I'm writing this post because everyone should know that for limited time anyone can buy an autographed copy of Rain of Gold book at list price. For more information visit: http://www.victorvillasenor.com

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home