Sunday, January 22, 2006

Life of Pi (Yann Martel)


Second time reading this one. I have no money to buy books and I don't feel like going to the library. Plus, on occasion it's fun to read a book that you don't have to wade through for a day until you know whether it's good. Sometimes it is just nice to know.

An Indian boy named Piscine Patel, son of a zoo keeper and en route from India to Canada, is cast out to sea when his ship goes down. His only companion? A male, adult Bengal tiger. For 227 days, he survives. For exactly 100 chapters, you will not only survive but thrive with creative energy while considering the many issues that Martel raises--zoology, religion, human nature, endurance, balance. A story that excels in all areas--plot originality and movement, unique descriptive style, and themes that emerge as if from your own head, your experience, your skin. And, to me, that three-punch combo is rare and precious. The kind of novel that I would be proud to say I wrote but, because I know is so perfect, is and maybe always will be beyond me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home